Tuesday, January 12, 2010

This is my longest story so far. The challenge was to look at a picture and image that you found the woman's obit and diary under a floorboard. And then asked what secrets she took to the grave. Let me know how I did.



I was into my fifth hour of just staring at the wooden box in front of me. It looked like it was older than dirt but that could have been because it had been sitting in dirt for who knows how long. It was dark brown and had some sort of intricate symbol on it in gold. If I had to guess I would say it was Celtic by the looks of the knot work. I was a little apprehensive to open it for a few reasons.

The first and albeit silliest was because I had just watched What Lies Beneath. No good came out of Michelle Pfeiffer opening the box she found. Second, it wasn’t mine. I had just bought this house and my contractor told me one of the workers found it under a floorboard in the master bedroom. Third, I was just flat out scared. What would I find in it? I had also seen enough crime shows in my time to know that a hidden box is not a good box.

So there I sat on my couch staring and trying to work up the courage to open it up. Screw it, I thought and practically ripped the top off the hinges. There was a yellowed piece of a newspaper clipping and a book that looked like it could be a diary. See sissy, I chastised myself, afraid of a piece of paper and a book. I laughed a little at myself over the drama I was creating in my own mind. I took my treasures out of the box and set them down beside me. I unfolded the yellowed paper and realized it was an obituary. Although the paper was old I could tell that the woman in the picture was beautiful. She looked like one of those pin-up girls with long dark hair and short bangs. Her lips were full and pouty and I’m sure would have been drenched in red lipstick if the paper had been in color. She had the most expressive eyes I have ever seen that were lined in heavy black kohl eyeliner and a mischievous little smirk that said I have a secret and it’s up to you to figure it out.

Caroline Elizabeth Fairchild
Age: 28

Hartford, CT. Caroline Elizabeth Fairchild, 28, died suddenly at her home on June 6, 1954. The only daughter of noted philanthropist Reese Fairchild and his wife Penelope, Caroline was a graduate of Chilton Preparatory and Brown University. Caroline worked at her father’s foundation as an event coordinator. She chaired the Hartford Debutants and was herself a debutant in 1942. She was a noted equestrian and won many ribbons riding her beloved horse Sampson. Respected greatly for her humanitarian work throughout the county, Caroline spent many hours visiting the sick and indigent. She also helped with the forming of the Hearts of Love orphanage and planned many outings for the children. She was a great patron of the arts, and was responsible for getting many of the great plays, ballets and orchestras to play at the local performing arts center. Caroline was loved by all that knew her. Surviving are her parents Reese and Penelope, maternal grand-parents Noah and Hannah Bennett, paternal grand-parents Caleb and Emily Fairchild all of Hartford, Ct and many extended family members. Visitation will be held at Danvers Funeral Home from 2-4, and 7-9 on June 9 followed by a 9am funeral service at St. Leos’ Church on June 10.

Wow, I thought, this woman was a saint that looked like a sinner. That was not what I was expecting. I’m 28 and haven’t done anywhere near the things that Caroline has. Well if that thought wasn’t depressing. It didn’t say she had a husband and I couldn’t believe that. At that time a girl that age, that beautiful, and from that kind of family definitely would have been married, if at least engaged. For some reason I found that really strange. I let it go and picked up the book, it was leather and had the same symbol on the front as the box did. I dusted it off and saw that her name was also emblazoned on the cover in the same gold tones. I opened to a random page and began to read.

February 12, 1954

Mother is on my case again. She invited Henry over for dinner and insisted I not only be there but to wear my very best dress. I don’t know how many different ways I could tell her I had no interest in Henry Abbott. He was a bore and not at all interesting. But of course he came from a well respected family and it was my duty as the heir to the Bennett and Fairchild “empire” (her words) to marry if not above me then at least someone with equal wealth. She just doesn’t understand that is not what I want. She’s calling me now; have to go put on my happy face.

I flipped a few more pages.

March 2, 1954

My parents are not happy with my new hair do. They think it’s scandalous. Father actually said I looked cheap. I smiled on the inside at that thinking if he only knew what his precious daughter was up to. I met a girl while attending one of the benefits for the hospital. She was the date of one of the older doctors but she couldn’t have been much older than me. I ran into her while she was smoking a cigarette on the balcony. Her name is Vivian and after handing me a cigarette we fell into polite conversation. I knew instantly she wasn’t one of the society girls. She definitely looked and spoke the part but I could tell she didn’t have the breeding that most of us did. But I didn’t care, I felt like I could be myself around her and we talked for the rest of the night. She did admit that she wasn’t really dating the doctor. He was just using her services. I wasn’t sure what that meant.

March 6, 1954

I now know what Vivian meant. We had met for lunch and fell into a more personal conversation than we had the other night. I told her of my parent’s plans for me and how I didn’t want that type of life for myself. I didn’t want a carbon copy husband who would say yes to me all the time. I wanted passion and fire. I thought for sure she would laugh at me. Instead she told me about herself. She said she was a submissive and went into detail about this lifestyle about dominants and “subs”. I have never heard anything so shocking in my life. And yet deep down it called to me. It lit a fire in the deepest part of me and I found what she was describing erotic. She told me there was a whole group of people in the community who “role played” and if I was interested she could introduce me to some of the “doms”. Of course I declined. I’m a proper lady after all. Just because I styled my hair to look like Betty Paige did not mean I wanted to emulate her. I thought about it all day though and it felt right. I rang Vivian the next day and told her that I was interested in seeing what it was like. She told me there was a party coming up and that I could attend as a guest of hers to be a watcher. She explained that this meant I didn’t have to do anything but observe. I think I can handle that.


March 9, 1954

Vivian and I went to the party last night. I have never felt so scared in my whole life. I met her at her apartment and she had a different outfit set out for me to wear. Apparently I looked like I was going to Sunday school. I gasped at what she wanted me to wear. The black stocking and garter belt I could handle. Even the white button down shirt was nice. However, she wanted me to put on a black lacey bra and the shortest black skirt I had ever seen. It actually stopped before my knees! Vivian assured me that it was quite proper for this group and we soon left. She drove us to a huge house, almost as big as ours and I recognized the doctor from the benefit when he answered the door. I must say that even though he greeted me politely he seemed almost uneasy at my presence. Viv introduced me around and explained who was a dom and who was a sub. I was beginning to get excited meeting all these people, especially the men who all seemed so strong and in control. She told me there would be a “scene” in the main living area. What I saw was the most erotic thing I have ever witnessed. The dom, a man who looked to be in his 30’s was using a riding crop on his sub. I felt my panties get a little wetter every time I heard the crop hit her flesh. It was beautiful; the look on her face was one of worship. I decided then that this was what was missing in my life. As I looked on the dom had glanced up at me and I couldn’t look away. He smiled at me and nodded his head a bit in acknowledgement. I new he was the one I would want to teach me. I asked Viv who he was and if she thought he might be interested in teaching me. His name is Adam Cooper and she wasn’t sure if he was with anyone at the moment. I decided to be bold and afterwards I went up to him and introduced myself making sure to not look him directly in his eyes. I was glad that Viv had given me that first lesson. We talked for a bit and he walked away from me before I had a chance to ask him about teaching me. I was a little upset but spent the rest of the evening speaking with other doms in hope that I may find a suitable one. I had a few offers and told them I would consider it. I wanted to talk to Viv first. Then it happened! As we were leaving he grabbed my arm and steered me towards an empty room. And then he kissed me. I have kissed men before but this was different. He took control of it from the beginning and ended it all too briefly in my opinion. He told me not to bother with the other men he was going to be my dom. I am so elated over this. He said he would be in touch and gave me a kiss on my cheek and sent me back to Viv. I am now anxiously awaiting word from him.


April 10, 1954

I know I haven’t written in awhile but I have been so busy. Who knew keeping a secret life could be so tiring? It has been the most amazing month of my life. Adam is incredible. The things he does to me and my body still makes me blush. I fear that my double life is going to catch up to me soon. Mother and father have been looking at me a bit strangely even though I have been meticulous in keeping up my appearances. I haven’t given them cause to judge anything I’ve done recently. I am the model daughter, the model heir. But at night I give up control to Adam. On the weekends I tell them I am at Vivian’s when I am really at Adam’s house being his slave. I love it. I never thought being someone’s slave could be liberating. He doesn’t treat me like a commodity or like a burden to put up with. I am not a bank account to him or an ends to a mean. I am just Caroline. And I am his.

April 20, 10954

I received the most unsettling note today. It cam in a bouquet of flowers that I thought Adam must have sent. All the note said was “I know your secrets”. I panicked and called Viv. She assured me it was probably just a prank. It didn’t satisfy but I tried my best to let it go. I didn’t tell Adam, I don’t want him worrying.

April 26, 1954

I’m convinced my mother knows. When I came home tonight she looked at me like she was disgusted with what she saw and when I went into my room I noticed my diary was out on the night table and I know I put it away before I left. I also think I’m being followed. Viv says it’s my imagination. I still haven’t mentioned anything to Adam. I only feel safe when I am with him. Not even being here in my parent’s home surrounded by gates do I feel safe. I have run into Dr. Anderson a few times, he’s the one who had the party that night. Now he leers at me like he knows what I look like when I’m chained in Adam’s playroom. It’s disconcerting.

May 2, 1954

Adam has been in a foul mood recently. Nothing I do pleases him and I can’t understand why. I try to be the best sub I can but he just gets angrier at me. I received another letter, this one threatening to tell my parent’s if I did not pay them money. There was a picture of me bound and gagged in Adam’s bedroom. It looks like it was taken from outside. I had to tell him now. If someone knew about me they knew about him. He was furious. But at me. He kept shouting about money and how my bank account wouldn’t notice a few thousand dollars missing. It was the first time he ever mentioned my money and it made me terribly sad. My mother is still being cold towards me. How did I get here?

May 15, 1954

More pictures, more letters, more yelling from Adam. I will pay this blackmailer and have spoken to Vivian about finding another dom. Dr. Anderson came to dinner tonight. He sat next to me and put his hand on my thigh during desert. I faked a coughing attack and left the room. Mother shot daggers at me.

June 2, 1954

I have not slept in days. I now fear that I am truly being followed. Adam found out that I was looking for another dom and he went crazy. My life seems to be falling apart when just a few months ago it felt like it was finally beginning. I am to meet the blackmailer on the 5th. My stomach has been in knots and I have not eaten since yesterday. I received flowers from Dr. Anderson and immediately threw them out. I sent him a note telling him I was not interested in him and to please l eave me alone. I’m not sure how much I could take.

June 5, 1954

I go tonight to pay him off.



That was the last entry. I sat there amazed. If she died suddenly that could only mean she either committed suicide or was murdered. Both seemed a very real possibility. I put the book down and got up to stretch and take a hot shower. Of course I was a little shaken up from reading Caroline’s diary. Before going upstairs to take my shower, I put some of the documents from the closing of the house into my safe. After making sure that all of the doors were locked, I went upstairs and turned on the shower. I let the hot water hit my back working out some of the knots. As I was washing my hair I realized something. The name of the homeowner before me. It was Adam Cooper.

2 comments:

  1. I read this submission on WitFit and I quite enjoyed it. I liked how the diary entries were written. I could almost here Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant "hear" Caroline. Doh!

    ReplyDelete