Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Sand, priest, shovel, crinkle, yellow

For once the sun was shining in this god-forsaken place. I drove out to the reservation hoping that the beach wouldn’t be packed. Of course I was not going to get that lucky. I could already spot some families lying around on blankets. I remember coming here as a kid and playing in the sand with Jacob. We would make sandcastles and see who could dig to China first with our plastic shovels. This was always our spot, our haven. When we would run away from home because our parents were too strict this was where we came. When we each had our first kiss, me with Mike Newton and him with Leah Clearwater, this was where we shared details. When Jacob told me his biggest secret of all, that he in fact did not like kissing girls, he told me here. This was where I showed him my beautiful engagement ring and told him how Edward had proposed to me.

It was just two days before our wedding and thankfully I managed to get away from Alice’s wedding death grip. She was bridezilla personified and she wasn’t even the bride! That’s why I didn’t feel so bad “borrowing’ her yellow Porsche for a few hours to get away from the mayhem. As if he knew I was just thinking about him, I felt Jacob approaching.

“I heard there’s a runaway bride,’ he said settling down next to me.

“Not running away from the wedding just the best man,” I said laughing at my best friend.

Edward and I had decided against the traditional roles for maid of honor and best man since my best friend was a man and his was his twin sister Alice. Of course I had to promise the parents that Jake would not be showing up in a dress, much to his disappointment. He stills insists he’d look better in taffeta.

“So are we here to reminisce?” he inquired.

I shook my head, “I really did just come out for some peace and quiet.”

And Jake being my best friend and knowing what I needed just sat next to me for an hour without talking. Even as we said goodbye it was with a hug and a kiss, no words were needed. I got back into my soon-to-be-sister-in-laws car and made the trip home, knowing there would be some consequence for my earlier defection. She did not disappoint.

“Bella! Where the hell have you been?” she screeched at me as I walked through the door.

“Alice,” I whined, “I had to get away for a little while before I started to go crazy!”

“Well get your ass upstairs! There’s a situation.”

Oh goody, I thought another situation. She dragged me upstairs into her bedroom muttering under her breath and thankfully I couldn’t understand a word of it.

“Look at this!” she said holding up the crinoline that was to go under my dress. “Did you just stuff it in my closet?”

I swear her eyes got red and there was steam coming out of her ears. I just looked at her, not knowing what the correct answer was. Then she started to spout off how its not supposed to get crinkled and needed plenty of space and yada, yada, yada. Edward taught me a long time ago how to tune her out. So I did the only thing that would save me and nodded and yes’d her to death. Another crisis averted.

I heard the front door open as Edward and Emmett came into the house. Flashing Alice the sweetest smile I could muster, I raced out of the room and down the stairs. Jumping into Edward’s arms, I kissed him soundly before he had a chance to speak. God, how I loved this man.

“Ok you two, that’s enough for now.”

“Shut it Emmett, its been hours since I’ve seen my girl.”

“That’s just pathetic bro. I’m gonna have to ask for your man card back.”

“You know Em, it’s not too late for us to get a priest to marry us,” I said.

In a moment of weakness, we had agreed to let Emmett marry us after he got ordained on-line. And by weakness I mean a night out doing shots of tequila, but the bastard had the foresight to not only have us sign an agreement (albeit on a napkin), but had Jas video it on his iPhone.

“You wouldn’t dare!”

“Watch me. I could always sic Alice on you.”

“Playing dirty Swan? That’s not your style.”

“It is when I’m getting married in less than 48 hours and Alice thinks every bump in her plans is a perilous situation.”

“I heard that Bella,” she screamed from upstairs.

I rolled my eyes and we walked into the living room to finish putting the favors together. It was really the only job that Alice felt we could handle and not mess up. Three hours later we were done and it was time to get ready for the rehearsal. As we arrived at the botanical gardens where the ceremony was being held, I couldn’t help the rush of excitement that was building up. We met the manager, Laurent, in the foyer then proceeded into the room to begin. As I stood with Charlie at the beginning of the aisle waiting our turn to walk down, I looked at Edward. He was my friend, my lover, my heart and I was never more sure of anything in my life.

The music began and I made way down the aisle ready to begin my new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment