Thursday, January 28, 2010

Prompt: Trampoline

I had tried to avoid going to the hospital for 3 months now. I was doing really well. I watched where I walked, I drove the speed limit and kept proper space in between cars and I took my vitamins and ate better. This was fool proof. What I didn’t count on was my six-year-old twins, Maddie and Lizzie. They were always cautious and quiet girls, just like I was growing up. Actually, now that I think about it, I should be blaming my hair brained mother. It was her that bought them that damn trampoline. She was always telling me that they needed to “act like little girls instead of little adults.” I should have listened to my inner voice, she told me this was not a good idea. But I relented because the girls actually looked interested in the damn thing. Of course the first afternoon they use it they end up bumping into each other and fall to the ground in tears and tangled limbs.

Now that I am cursing my mother out on the drive to the hospital, I think about the odds that he may be working today. Even though I had never met him I was nervous. I had known his brother briefly, and that’s saying it nicely. A one night stand at a college party was not really “knowing” someone. Except biblically of course. He probably didn’t even remember my name and I’m sure he never would’ve mentioned it to his brother. I was in the clear. Unless by some chance he got a good look at the girls. He may notice Elizabeth had his sage green eyes, or that Madeline had his reddish hair. Maybe he wouldn’t recognize the twin grins that resemble his brother Emmett’s mischievous smirk. Or that Maddie can quirk her eyebrow like he did. I know that I thought about him every time I looked at them.

I had met Emmett Cullen at a frat party in May of my senior year at Washington University. My best friend Angela had joined a sorority so I often tagged along to parties with her and her “sisters”. I wasn’t really friendly with any of them but knew them enough for the usual hellos around school. The only two I knew a little better than the rest were Alice Cullen and Rosalie Hale and that was only because Rosalie was Angela’s “big sister” and Alice was Rosalie’s best friend. In fact it was Alice that pointed out her brother Emmett to me that night. I was always shy but it was the end of the year, we were done with finals and getting ready to graduate. That’s what brought Rosalie and Alice back, Angela graduating. So I decided to leave college life with a bang. I just didn’t think I meant it literally.

When Alice noticed me staring at the guy in the living room by the keg at first she didn’t say anything. This was good because I was knee deep in fantasy. He looked to be about 6’2” if I had to guess with reddish brown hair that went in all directions, beautiful green eyes, and full lips that were begging to be bit. His body was long and muscular and the dark was jeans and tight black band t-shirt showed it off perfectly. He looked up and caught my eye and I immediately blushed and diverted my eyes to anywhere that wasn’t near him. As I did that I noticed the other girls, far prettier girls that were staring at him. I chanced a quick peek back at him and he was still looking at me. He gave me a half smile, tipped his cup to me and took a drink. That’s when Alice told me it was her brother. Through out the night I was in different rooms but always knew where he was. Every so often he would catch me looking at him and once or twice I caught him looking my way.

I went out into the backyard for some fresh air and sat down at the picnic table near the end of their backyard. I could still hear the party and the few people that were outside smoking but it was quiet enough for me to get lost in my thoughts. I’d like to say I thought over my college life or my plans for the future but my thoughts were not that illustrious. I was thinking about Alice’s brother whose name I didn’t even catch. So yeah, imagine my surprise when I heard someone clearing their throat behind me.

“Is it ok if I sit here?” Mmmm, velvet sex voice. I turned around and lo and behold, Alice’s brother was standing in front of me.

“Yeah sure.” Did I mention I was a lit major? I am a wordsmith.

He held out his hand and said, “I’m Emmett Cullen. I think you may know my sister Alice?”

“Bella. I know Alice but not very well.”

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Bella. Are you graduating too?”

“Yep.” Like I said. Word. Smith.

He laughed a little and then turned his attention back to his red Solo cup. By this point I am kicking myself and calling myself every name in the book. I’ve talked to guys, I’ve had boyfriends, hell I’ve even had sex. So how come I couldn’t think of a damn thing to say to him?

“So Edward, are you in school?”

“I graduated two years from UCLA.”

Now I could bore you with the rest of our conversation but it wasn’t very interesting or earth shattering. We didn’t solve world peace or end world hunger so let’s just say that at some point I looked over at him and the next thing I know we’re kissing. I’m talking open mouth, tongues, panting kissing. Next thing I know (or want to share) I’m waking up in my bed, sans clothes. You can guess the rest. Flash forward six years and change.

I rush the girls into the tiny ER of Forks Memorial and give their information to Louise who surprise, surprise has known me all my life so this visit isn’t such a shock. After I finish all the necessary paperwork she asks if I want her to call m y father Charlie, the Chief of Police, but I decline. If it’s nothing serious I don’t want to worry him.

“Will the girls be seeing Dr. Gerandi? They’re really only comfortable with him.” This is utter bullshit but I’m trying to avoid Emmett’s brother and yes, will use my daughters to ensure that.

“Sorry hon, he’s on vacation. Dr.’s Cullen are on call today.”

Dr.’s? There are two Dr. Cullen’s here? I remember Angela saying Alice’s dad was a doctor so maybe I still had a chance. But I still wasn’t done.

“Dr. Emmett Cullen? I knew his sister in college.”

“No it’s his brother Edward, and his…”

“Bella? Bella Swan?” I turn around to see a stunning blond in a lab coat coming towards me.

“Rosalie Hale?” I am stunned, she still looks the same.

She reaches me and we give each other a hug that belies our relationship. But it’s what girls do.

“It’s Rosalie Hale-Cullen now. Doctor actually.”

“That’s great Rosalie! So you married Edward?”

“We, no. I married Emmett!”

And here my jaw drops, my heart slams against my chest wall and tears are threatening.

“Oh wow,” I manage to squeak out, “that’s great.” I am lying, its horrible news.

“So what have you been up to?” Seriously? She’s a doctor? I’m in an ER what does she think I’m up to?

“Well…,” I begin.

“Bella, you can bring the girls to curtain 3.” Saved by Jessica Stanley, a nurse here and a friend from high school. Now how do I get the girls back there without Rosalie seeing? I am not ashamed of my daughters I just don’t want their Daddy’s wife to see them. I’ll be on Jerry Springer next week. Luckily before she can ask questions, Rose is called away telling me we need to get together and that Edward will be seeing us today.

I bring the girls back to curtain 3, sit them on the bed and we wait. And wait. And wait. Finally I hear some shuffling behind the curtain and I hear Jessica talking to Dr. Cullen and giving them the girls’ information. When I hear his beautiful, velvet voice I freeze. They sound identical. I wonder if Edward and Emmett are twins. It would explain why I had twins when there are none in my family tree. They both come in and I am shocked again. Standing before me is Emmett Cullen. But Jessica is introducing him as Edward Cullen. What the hell is going on here? When he looks up from the chart the recognition is instant. He stands there, chart in hands, not saying anything.

All I can think is that I have to get my girls out of here. This can’t be happening. What am I going to do? Why is this happening? After what seems like hours, he composes himself and I think I detect a flash of anger in his eyes.

“Ms. Swan,” polite motherfucker, “what brings you here today?”

Before I can say anything Jessica jumps right in, “oh, the Maddie and Lizzie were playing on their new trampoline and fell off.” She smiles at them.

He barely looks over at my, at our, daughters, when his eyes are back on me. Now they look accusing.

“You let 6 year olds play on a trampoline?” Obviously I am a horrible mother. And now Mama Bear comes out.

“Excuse me, Dr. Cullen,” I sneer, “but maybe you can take a look at them before calling Social Services on me?”

Jessica is bewildered, Dr. Cullen looks ashamed and Maddie and Lizzie have no idea what is going on.

“Pardon me, Ms Swan. Of course I’ll have a look at them.” Oh shit.
When he does turn his attention towards them I know the precise moment he is suspect. His back goes rigid, his head does a slight double take and there is a distinct intake of breath. Apparently I’ll have a lot of explaining to do and very soon. But I’m too busy cursing out that damn trampoline.

No comments:

Post a Comment