Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Prompt: Pajamas

I truly love my jammies. If I'm home all day, they stay on. As soon as I get home from anywhere, they go on. They're comfort. So this is my ode to my pajamas.





I had the most horrible day at work today. I know, I know I said the same thing last Friday. Today though I really mean it. Everything that could go wrong did. Example, I lost power during the night and woke up 20 minutes before I had to be to work. It takes at least 35 to get there. I threw off my favorite flannel pajamas and raced into the bathroom. As I was getting ready, I dropped anything I had in my hand. That alone should have sent me back into bed but I soldiered on. My car needed gas, I had no money for coffee and when I arrived at work my manager gave me the stink eye. Do you need more proof? My phone rang incessantly and at least 75% of the phone calls were to bitch me, my employer or the world in general out. I forgot my lunch at home. The loser copy guy hit on me again. I lost an important report. And oh yeah, it was only Monday.

I took a minute to decompress and tried to do some relaxing breathing techniques. I thought of something that made me happy. Being at home in my comfy pj’s with a cup of coffee and either a Law & Order SUV or Criminal Minds marathon. I know, pathetic. But it was therapeutic to me and the jimmies were the most important part. They have gotten me through a lot of highs and a lot of lows. I was wearing them the morning I graduated college, the day my grand-mother had died, the day my best friend got married, the day I met the one. They were special to me and I went through great lengths to keep them in one piece.

Once I felt like the weight of the world wasn’t entirely on m y shoulders I got back to work. My manager kept staring at me and I got blue ink all over my new Chanel blouse but I kept my head up. Kind of. Finally 5 o’clock rolled around and as I went to punch put I got a shock from the machine. I got to my car and gave a huge sigh when it started right up. That was all I would need. Car trouble. Somehow I made it home in one piece. The minute I got inside my house I made a beeline for my bedroom, took off my suit, cried a little over my ruined blouse and put on my pajamas. Have I mentioned how much I love them? As I slid the pants on, the soft flannel felt like a second skin, I gave a sigh of relief. I put on my matching tank top and cozy socks and went to round up some dinner.

As I heard my boyfriend come in the front door, I ran to him and threw my arms around him. He took one look at my face and knew I had one of those days. One of the many reasons I loved him was his ability to read me and my moods. I sent him off to change while I set the table and he came back in wearing his pajamas. He was very supportive. After a delicious meal of my favorite comfort food, pot roast with egg noodles AND mashed potatoes we went into the living room to watch some TV. About an hour later he went into the kitchen to get some ice cream- did I mention how much I love him? He came out with a pint of Ben and Jerry’ Chubby Hubby for me and a bowl of mint chocolate chip for himself. Yet another thing he does for me. He knows I can never decide which ice cream I want and will pick the opposite of what I ask for knowing that I would ask for some. Before I had a chance though he was holding the spoon out to me. I was watching the TV screen intently because the detective was just about to crack the case so I glanced at the spoon briefly to make sure it would make it to my mouth instead of my tank top. The sparklyness of the ice cream distracted me for a minute and I returned my attention to Detective Stabler. Wait, since when is ice cream sparkly?

I looked at the spoon again and gasped. Sitting on the spoon was the most beautiful diamond ring I had ever seen. I looked up at him and barely heard a word he said because I was too busy squealing ‘Yes!”. He placed the ring on my finger and we were laughing and crying and kissing. It was perfect. It was us.

I had the most wonderful day today. And I was wearing my favorite pajamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment