Friday, January 15, 2010

Prompt: Cake
Rated:T, Some family fun


My three daughters are the light of my life. But right now they are the bane of my existence. Who thought it was a good idea for them to bake a cake for their Daddy on his birthday? Oh right, me. What the hell was I thinking? Oh right, that it’d be sweet. What I didn’t take into consideration was that an 8 year old, 6 year old and 4 year old had no concept of order. And what’s worse was that I trying to explain it. Elizabeth, my oldest, was the “top chef” and put herself in charge of telling her younger sisters what to do. She was made for that role. Gracie, my middle, got the ingredients together while Amelia, my baby putting said ingredients together. There was more cake mix on her than in the bowl.

Anytime I’d try to intervene I was told that this was their present for Daddy Apparently they had it all under control and my role was more of a silent partner. It was adorable. My daughters were true Daddy’s Girls. The sun rose and set on him so I was more than happy to sit back and let them make their cake. Especially since they would be helping me clean it up.

As Amelia handed the bowl of ingredients to Elizabeth to began mixing I decided to step in. It’s one thing for them to put the ingredients together and another thing for them to use electric appliances. I stood behind Elizabeth as she held the beaters in her hand and told her to put the beaters into the bowl and I turned them on. Of course she jumped from the vibrations which sent cake batter flying. On her sisters, the counter and the ceiling. After hearing their laughs from that I couldn’t be mad. They were having too much fun.

Once we got that under control and everything was mixed, Gracie poured the batter into the pan and I put it into the oven. Now was the important task of choosing the icing and decorations. They all wanted it to be a different color. Elizabeth chose blue because Daddy was a boy, Amelia wanted pink because they are girls, and Gracie wanted green because it was the color of his eyes. During the 40 minutes that it took for the cake to bake there was a debate about the icing. We finally came to a compromise and once it was out of the oven and finished cooling we got to work.
Four hours later, after my husband had come home and we had had dinner it was time for the cake. The girls were so excited I can’t believe they made it through dinner. He just smiled at his babies and laughed when they fought over who would bring it out. I took them into the kitchen and let them put in some candles then I lit them and carried the cake out. We sang “Happy Birthday” to him and his eyes popped out at the sight before him. I had assured him I watched over the whole process and that no ingredient was left out or put in that shouldn’t be there.

This is why he is the best husband and father, he beamed at us while we sang, made a wish and blew out the candles and proceeded to eat three slices of cake. One with blue frosting, one with pink, and one with green. He said it was the best cake he had ever tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment